Department: Educational Policy and Leadership Studies
Organizations: Educational Leadership Program, Iowa Testing Programs
Research Interests: My research interests focus on curriculum and assessment. In particular, I am interested in how federal accountability policies are affecting classroom practice and school administration.
TILE course: Standards Based Education and Accountability, Research Topic in Education
Ph.D., Education, University of Iowa, 2005.
M.S.Ed., Elementary Education, Northwestern University, 1994
B.A, World Arts and Cultures, University of California Los Angeles, 1992 .
My research focuses on issues of leadership and assessment. In particular, my work explores how federal school reform policies affect classroom practice and school administration. Current areas of research:
· Leadership in an age of accountability
· Evaluating leadership preparation programs
· Helping policy makers choose appropriate assessment data to measure principal efficacy
· Exploring the assessment of ability in students who are culturally and linguistically diverse, particularly Spanish-speaking elementary school students who are frequently under-identified by ability tests
· How the Common Core Curriculum is affecting policy and leadership
· Sustaining state-wide professional development initiatives
· Formative Assessment as a tool to improve student learning
· Informing policy in teacher education— specifically using data to predict who will be a successful teacher