This is a first-day activity. No preparation is required prior to implementation in class.
- Lecture Introduction (2 minutes). What is Engineering Geology? Basic intro material presented. Divide into teams, assign roles based on place of birth (Eastern-most = manager; Western-most = skeptic).
- Assignment (1 minute). Spend 4 minutes learning about a famous engineering tragedy with your team. Brainstorm ways that geology or natural systems may play a role in the design or construction of the project, and in its failure.
- Project work (4 minutes). Instructor circulates between groups to ensure brainstorming is occurring.
- Students integrate their team ideas and agree on a photo / video that illustrates the failed design. The three teams at each table integrate all their ideas on the whiteboards (2 minutes).
- Group presentations—a summary of the example and their brainstorming process (1 minute for each table, 1 minute for whole-class response). The image is projected to all LCD and projector screens.
- Summary / synthesis by instructor. (1 minute). Key points:
o Everyone already knows what engineering geology is. We’ll use the semester to formalize this knowledge, learn terminology and industry norms, and learn investigation tools.
o Review syllabus content and compare to the lists on boards